You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 Dual Boot via Boot Camp on MacBook Pro Mid 2010 - Not Working

Specs:

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
  • macOS High Sierra | Version 10.13.16 (17G66)
  • Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Hello, I have a copy of Windows 7 64bit that I am looking to dual boot using Boot Camp, however whenever I attempt to launch Boot Camp Assistant from Spotlight, I get the follow message:

Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used.

This Mac does not support Boot Camp.

I understand that because I have a MacBook Pro Mid-2010 that this version of Boot Camp is not supported because I have an optical drive, however there has to be some way that I can get around this to install Windows 7 as a dual boot option.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 1:31 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 24, 2020 2:46 PM in response to devinr56

devinr56 wrote:

So I googled SMC and NVRAM and I believe you are referring to the power control of the computer.

It resets contents of the NVRAM and the System Management Controller.

I did forget to mention that I do NOT have a battery in this laptop and am using connected power only. I truly hope this this is not the reason why I can’t use Boot Camp...

Is there a specific reason you do not have a battery in the Mac?

Feb 24, 2020 2:52 PM in response to Loner T

I just did the SMC and NVRAM reset and am still having the same issue.

The reason is because I have changed the battery in this laptop 3 times in the last 6 years due to swelling (in which one instance actually cracked my track pad). Since this laptop is primarily hooked up to my TV, I do not see a need to replace the battery again.

As a side note, I reinstalled a fresh copy from the Recovery Boot feature earlier this morning. So this is a fresh copy of the High Sierra OS.

Windows 7 Dual Boot via Boot Camp on MacBook Pro Mid 2010 - Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.