You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple contacts cards across accounts duplicate

I sync my iCloud contacts and calendars including Google (though I only _use_ Google calendar). I now see up to three entries, apparently (1) Mac, (2) iPhone, and (3) a few from Google (didn't know I _had_ Google contacts). I cannot edit my iMac address book _at all_, i.e., edits do not stick, even with iCloud switched off. (In fact, I cannot even delete the cards!)

On the (mostly near) duplicate entries, contact changes propagate just fine from either Mac or iPhone. This set of contacts seems to operate entirely independently from my Mac version--it's also significantly out of sync. When I deselect the iCloud contacts and reconnect, saying 'yes' to merge, there _is_ no merge with my Mac contacts--the iCloud contacts just show up as separate cards. :-| I get a similar response when I check Contacts in my Google account (which is strange, since I do not keep contacts in Google--how did contacts propagate there?).

In Contacts, even when the cards are "true" duplicates across Mac and iCloud, they're not found. Linking Cards also does not work.

What I would like to do is merge all contacts and aggregate the information, since it appears that I have near-duplicates mostly. I don't have duplicate friend names (like most people), so I'm happy to aggregate based on name alone.

I am on Catalina 10.15.3, use iOS 13.3.1 using the same Apple ID everywhere. If it's useful: my Contacts list goes back more than a decade, but I have not ever seen duplicates like this since about the time I put my Desktop and Documents folders in iCloud (a clue?). Much appreciate ideas for this bewildering situation!

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 8:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 5:39 PM

The answer was a corrupted Contacts database resolved here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10581

Steps:

• Deselect iCloud and other internet accounts contacts in System Preferences;
  • Export entire Mac Contacts data set (vcard format);
  • Quit Contacts and follow the instructions in the support page above, deleting the old database;
  • Open Contacts and import the exported vcards--you can also drag the export into the left panel of Contacts to load;
  • Turn on the iCloud and other account Contacts so they show up;
  • Select Card->Find duplicates and select merge.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2020 5:39 PM in response to BalmerGuy

The answer was a corrupted Contacts database resolved here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10581

Steps:

• Deselect iCloud and other internet accounts contacts in System Preferences;
  • Export entire Mac Contacts data set (vcard format);
  • Quit Contacts and follow the instructions in the support page above, deleting the old database;
  • Open Contacts and import the exported vcards--you can also drag the export into the left panel of Contacts to load;
  • Turn on the iCloud and other account Contacts so they show up;
  • Select Card->Find duplicates and select merge.

Feb 25, 2020 3:50 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks. No duplicates in iCloud contacts, but it acts as a completely separate, syncing contacts book, apparently no longer interacting with my Mac instance. As I said, I cannot edit my Mac version for some reason, and asking Contacts to find duplicates and or merge or link cards does not work. It's as though the Mac Contacts has an independent life of its own (albeit inevitable). Ergo, none of the above KB notes apply. I am thinking that the _first_ thing to solve is to get the local Mac Contacts functioning again, since it's clear that iCloud does not recognize them. The current iCloud "instance" of my contacts works just fine with the above actions.

multiple contacts cards across accounts duplicate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.