You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean installing El Capitan on 2009 MBP

I cannot clean install MAC OSX 10.11 on my 2009 Mac Book Pro.

I need to repurpose this older MBP for someone else here.

I have tried numerous times and a few different ways.

• Installed starting from 10.6 and kept installing each subsequent system until I reached 10.10 but when I tried 10.11 no luck.
  • tried from an external drive that had the 10.11 installer

tried using DiskMaker X Pro

• Tried form the recovery partition, re-downloading the OS directly. It looked this was working because it took a while for it to download and install. No luck.
  • I was able to clone my own 10.11 volume from my MacPro to this MBP but of course that was not the final result I was intending seeing I need a clean/new system.

I have provided a screen shot of the message that comes up everytime.

I tried all of these attempts more than once with the same result.

Any info would be much appreciated. I have been fighting with this on/off for a couple of months now and I am completely baffled with why this will not work.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 9:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 9:09 AM

The proper way to prepare your Mac for sale would be to install the original OS it shipped with:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

If you feel you really need to install a later OS, the issue you are having maybe because a newer OS than El Capitan is available. I'd try High Sierra.

Get macOS High Sierra.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2020 9:09 AM in response to frdamian

The proper way to prepare your Mac for sale would be to install the original OS it shipped with:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

If you feel you really need to install a later OS, the issue you are having maybe because a newer OS than El Capitan is available. I'd try High Sierra.

Get macOS High Sierra.

Clean installing El Capitan on 2009 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.