You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV app on Apple TV won't play downloaded movies, but can play from separate Library app

iTunes has started downloading movies as .movpkg files, which will not show up when I go to the Library app on our Apple TV.

I read that the TV app on the Apple TV should be apple to play download movpkg files, but the TV app will not play any offline movies. The movie splash screen appears and when I choose "Play" all I get is a spinning wheel and a movie never plays. The TV app has a Library category and I'm using that when trying to play.

Some movies are download as m4v files and those will play offline from the Library app, but they will not play as described above when using the TV app.

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 4:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 10:46 AM

I figured it out!

I went to TV app > Preferences > Playback and made sure both "Download Multichannel Audio" and "Download HDR when available" were unchecked. When I restarted the movie download it came down as an m4v file.

Similar questions

1 reply

TV app on Apple TV won't play downloaded movies, but can play from separate Library app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.