You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message alerts STILL not working: I've checked everything

I have an iPhone 8 that I've been using for two years that has an up-to-date operating system and I just purchased an Apple Watch Series 5. I have a problem getting haptic alerts for incoming Messages on either the phone or the watch. In particular:

• Text messages don't show on the Watch screen at all and do not vibrate; they go straight to the Notifications Center. That happens whether the Message notifications on Apple Watch are set to "mirror iPhone" or "custom."
  • Text messages on the iPhone do not vibrate when the iPhone is asleep, although messages from other apps (like News) will vibrate regardless of whether the iPhone is awake or asleep. They go directly to the Notification Center.
  • Text messages will vibrate (or make a sound) if the iPhone is awake.

That behavior happens when the phone is not in Do Not Disturb mode and when Messages is set to send messages prominently (rather than the "Send Quietly" mode from the Notification Center.) The Notification Center is toggled "on," and all three "alerts" are checked (lock screen, notification center and banners). Sound and Haptics are set to vibrate on ring and on silent, and System Haptics are turned on.

Bottom line is that I have checked the most likely culprits and the suggested solutions that have been identified in the other message threads. What else should I try? I really need this feature to work as it should.

iPhone 8

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 8:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 9:27 PM

I find that iMessage prefers your active device to receive audible or haptic notifications.

For example, if I'm listening to music through AirPods and a text comes in, I get an audible notification through my AirPods via my iPhone. Yet if I'm walking around with my iPhone in my pocket then I get an audible (and/or haptic) on my Apple Watch. The system is "smart" in that way. Likewise if I'm on my MacBook then neither iPhone or Apple Watch notify me --instead I get the iMessage on my MacBook.

Are you texting yourself to test your set up? If so that might be problematic if you're trying to test the Apple Watch. Because if you're texting from your iPhone then it's your "active device" so to speak and the Apple Watch will just show in the Notification Center. A good test would be asking someone to text you "in 5 minutes". Put your phone in another room and wait with your Apple Watch. In my experience the phone will be silent while your Apple Watch will ding or use haptic to notify you.

Hopefully this is helpful. Oh, and as lame as it sounds: try resetting the iPhone and Apple Watch. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2020 9:27 PM in response to DC Proud

I find that iMessage prefers your active device to receive audible or haptic notifications.

For example, if I'm listening to music through AirPods and a text comes in, I get an audible notification through my AirPods via my iPhone. Yet if I'm walking around with my iPhone in my pocket then I get an audible (and/or haptic) on my Apple Watch. The system is "smart" in that way. Likewise if I'm on my MacBook then neither iPhone or Apple Watch notify me --instead I get the iMessage on my MacBook.

Are you texting yourself to test your set up? If so that might be problematic if you're trying to test the Apple Watch. Because if you're texting from your iPhone then it's your "active device" so to speak and the Apple Watch will just show in the Notification Center. A good test would be asking someone to text you "in 5 minutes". Put your phone in another room and wait with your Apple Watch. In my experience the phone will be silent while your Apple Watch will ding or use haptic to notify you.

Hopefully this is helpful. Oh, and as lame as it sounds: try resetting the iPhone and Apple Watch. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Feb 11, 2020 8:02 PM in response to MBP_Drew

Thanks for your reply. I have been using Google Hangouts on my Macbook Pro to send a text message to my iPhone and Apple Watch. (I have a Google Hangouts phone number.) I thought that would be equivalent to having a friend text me. But I just tried using Google Hangouts to send a text and then immediately put the Macbook Pro to sleep. Sure enough, the iPhone buzzed with the text. So yes, it may be that part of the problem is that I'm not getting the notification behavior I expect because another one of my Apple devices is active. I still seem to be missing texts even when I am away from my other Apple devices because there is no haptic, but I will pay more attention to see if what you point out is more true than I realize.

Message alerts STILL not working: I've checked everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.