You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI Monitor shuts down when I remove powersupply in closed-clamshell mode

Hi, I am have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013).

I am using the MacBook as closed-clamshell with external mouse/keyboard and monitor via HDMI.

But the moment I remove the powersupply from the mac, the monitor shuts down and will only work if the mac is charging. I do not want the power supply in the mac all the time because it will destroy the battery. I have read this: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201834 but it does not say anything about HDMI. Only USB-C or Thunderbolt-3 wich I dont have or use.

Anyone have any idea how to make the HDMI port still be on while doing the closed-clamshell without power connected?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 9:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 9:42 AM

djprotex wrote:
I do not want the power supply in the mac all the time because it will destroy the battery.

Your premium-quality Macintosh computer will never overcharge, and the notion that leaving the power adapter connected will do it any damage whatsoever is WRONG.

--------

Closed display mode has certain requirements, and you must meet them ALL. They include that the power adapter must be connected and powered at all times, else Closed display mode will not work. They are enumerated in this document:

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2020 9:42 AM in response to djprotex

djprotex wrote:
I do not want the power supply in the mac all the time because it will destroy the battery.

Your premium-quality Macintosh computer will never overcharge, and the notion that leaving the power adapter connected will do it any damage whatsoever is WRONG.

--------

Closed display mode has certain requirements, and you must meet them ALL. They include that the power adapter must be connected and powered at all times, else Closed display mode will not work. They are enumerated in this document:

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

HDMI Monitor shuts down when I remove powersupply in closed-clamshell mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.