You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Initialization failed message

How do I resolve an "Initialization failed" message when trying to open a new H&R Block tax prep app?

I downloaded the app twice and from two different sites (first from amazon.com, then from H&R Block). I'm able to extract from the .dmg image, and place the app in my applications folder. But when I try to open the app (to actually use it), I get the "initialization failed" message (copy attached below). I've looked at my permissions but all seem in order, and all my other software works fine for all my iMac's users.

I guess I don't understand what the message (in obscure language) is telling me. I hope someone can decipher its meaning--at least before April 15th!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 7:39 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 7, 2020 10:28 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for bringing that up. However, my iMac (21.5-inch, 2017) is running Mojave (10.14.6). I talked to the HRBlock people yesterday. They gave me a new link to download again. So I trashed the previous download. Then tried a new download. Same result. Frustratingly, the app won't even let me put in the product code; it just stops at the point where it should let me open it and enter the product key.

Will call H&RBlock--one more time. After that, i guess I'll go back to pen & paper for my tax return.

Initialization failed message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.