You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 2 won’t start or reset - keeps cycling back to “erase all content and settings”

I started having an issue where after a workout, the LED HR monitor would not turn off, even if I X-ed out of the workout app. It got so that I had to reboot the watch every time after a workout (I read heaps of discussions about this, but none resolved it).

Then today, the SOS started going off repeatedly while I was just reading (so not touching the watch or holding my arm in some weird way to press buttons). Then, after a workout, I rebooted the watch as usual, but it failed to reboot altogether. I then tried hard reboot (press both buttons, wait for Apple icon), and was then presented with the “Erase all content and settings” option (see photo).

I selected “Erase all content and settings,” bc I thought I could just set it up as a new watch easily enough. But after selecting it, I got to the normal little ticker wheel that shows you that it’s erasing/updating (see second photo), and then instead of erasing, it just goes back to the same red bar with “Erase all content and settings.” I have selected that several times now, and each time it tries to erase, but then just goes back to the same option. As it sits here beside me, without my touching it, it is periodically flashing back to the Apple icon, and then returning to the “Erase all content and settings” option.

Any suggestions?

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 6

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 1:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 11:34 AM

I ended up calling Apple about this and in case anyone else has the issue, here is what resolved it.

(1) The SOS coming on by itself indicated that one of the buttons was probably sticking slightly. The solution was to rinse the watch under warm water for just 30 seconds or so, and then let it air dry. I did that and it’s fine.

(2) That it kept cycling back to “Erase all content and settings” was partly due to the fact that it was connected to the charger. Simply taking it off the charger allowed me to re-pair the watch with the phone, it was still messed up and I needed to erase all content a couple of times, but it was ultimately resolved.

The Apple helpdesk guy was fantastic.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2020 11:34 AM in response to SaintCrumpet

I ended up calling Apple about this and in case anyone else has the issue, here is what resolved it.

(1) The SOS coming on by itself indicated that one of the buttons was probably sticking slightly. The solution was to rinse the watch under warm water for just 30 seconds or so, and then let it air dry. I did that and it’s fine.

(2) That it kept cycling back to “Erase all content and settings” was partly due to the fact that it was connected to the charger. Simply taking it off the charger allowed me to re-pair the watch with the phone, it was still messed up and I needed to erase all content a couple of times, but it was ultimately resolved.

The Apple helpdesk guy was fantastic.

Apple Watch Series 2 won’t start or reset - keeps cycling back to “erase all content and settings”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.