You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Although a "QT movie" video file with ".MOV" was recorded on an iPhone, my Macbook Air gives the following message: "QuickTime Player can't open "IMG_9358~video.MOV"." How can I fix the problem?

How can I fix the problem?

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 6:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 6:17 PM

Newer iPhones can record in a format that isn’t supported by older OS X versions.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

The solution is to

• make new recordings in a more compatible format, so that those do not need conversion. On iPhone: Settings﹥Camera﹥Formats﹥Most Compatible
  • convert existing videos to a more compatible format. This can be done during transfer. On iPhone: Settings﹥Photos [and videos]﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Automatic. ‘Automatic’ refers to detecting the capabilities of the computer on the other side of the USB cable.
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 31, 2020 6:17 PM in response to ZekiWolf

Newer iPhones can record in a format that isn’t supported by older OS X versions.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

The solution is to

• make new recordings in a more compatible format, so that those do not need conversion. On iPhone: Settings﹥Camera﹥Formats﹥Most Compatible
  • convert existing videos to a more compatible format. This can be done during transfer. On iPhone: Settings﹥Photos [and videos]﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Automatic. ‘Automatic’ refers to detecting the capabilities of the computer on the other side of the USB cable.

Feb 1, 2020 11:02 AM in response to ZekiWolf

Agree with Urquhart - .MOV video file can be recorded with different compression codecs (e.g. h.264 or HEVC). The likely problem is that you've recorded the video file with a newer compression (HEVC), while your QuickTime Player doesn't support it. You may either convert HEVC to H.264, like Urquhart described this. Or use a video player that supports HEVC. For example, VLC is a free media player that supports most of the video file and compression types.

The other problem with the file could be that the video is not finalized (the file misses a header, which could be a result of some glitch). If this is the case, you won't be able to play it in ANY media player. In this case, you will have to use a .MOV repair tool. Here is a great article on how to fix .MOV files: https://restore.media/blog/repair-mov-file

Although a "QT movie" video file with ".MOV" was recorded on an iPhone, my Macbook Air gives the following message: "QuickTime Player can't open "IMG_9358~video.MOV"." How can I fix the problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.