You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable USB for High Sierra does not work

I created a bootable USB for High Sierra, and createinstallmedia in Terminal confirmed done, but when I Restart a Sierra iMac with Option key held down, it just boots straight to Sierra. USB drive has GUID partition & is format: macOS Extended (journaled).

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 3:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 7:03 AM

I may have a bad batch of USB Drives (I'm investigating), but I discovered that this old iMac (late 2009) does not offer Boot options if I press the <Option> Key with a Restart. However, if I shutdown the Mac & do a full Power-Up re-boot from cold, then the <Option> Key does give the correct result.

Thanks for your answer.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 21, 2020 7:03 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I may have a bad batch of USB Drives (I'm investigating), but I discovered that this old iMac (late 2009) does not offer Boot options if I press the <Option> Key with a Restart. However, if I shutdown the Mac & do a full Power-Up re-boot from cold, then the <Option> Key does give the correct result.

Thanks for your answer.

Jan 21, 2020 3:57 AM in response to chg5000

I would try reformatting your USB, open Disk Utility, highlight the Disk not the indented Volume.

Click on Erase, give the Disk a name,

Format: Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map.

Click Erase.

When done try making the disk bootable using the instructions you used before.

If the installation fails a second time try another USB stick.

Bootable USB for High Sierra does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.