You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (Catalina) won't boot up ('do not enter' sign)

I opened my macbook and wanted to do some administration, but it was so slow I thought it might needed a restart.. This even didn't work so I tried the on/off button to shut it off.

When I turned it on again it gave me the 'do not enter' sign which quickly changed occasionally to the apple sign and back. I tried CMND + R, but this didn't work as well (white screen). What can I do? Is this a consequence of the Catalina update? My macbook worked perfectly before!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 12:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 1:08 PM

The fact it was slow appears to have presaged hardware failure—typically, its hard disk drive. Have you been using Time Machine to back up your Mac?

For now read Learn how to resolve a flashing question mark.

Most likely, that Mac will probably require service from Apple or an authorized Apple Service provider: Contact Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2020 1:08 PM in response to mlouisetje

The fact it was slow appears to have presaged hardware failure—typically, its hard disk drive. Have you been using Time Machine to back up your Mac?

For now read Learn how to resolve a flashing question mark.

Most likely, that Mac will probably require service from Apple or an authorized Apple Service provider: Contact Support.

Macbook Pro (Catalina) won't boot up ('do not enter' sign)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.