You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When does iPhone get backed up using iCloud?

Hello All.

I recently purchased the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I've always done hard backups via iTunes with previous phones. This is the first time I've tried backing up to iCloud.

I had my phone charging for two hours and noticed that no backup was done on that day. So, I manually backed up. Apple says that iCloud automatically backs up your iPhone daily when iPhone is connected to power, locked, and on Wi-Fi. But, it doesn't say how long before the backup starts. Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you!

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 2:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 4:42 PM

Automatic iCloud backups should happen once every 24 hours. So your next one will be 24 hours since the last successful automatic or manual backup file’s time stamp. If the device is not plugged in and online at 24 hours, it should try again the very next time it is plugged in and on wifi.

The time it will take to complete the incremental updated backup will depend on the speed of your internet connection, and how much data has changed on your device since the last backup.

Simplest thing is just enable iCloud backups and then leave your phone plugged in and within range of wifi every night while you sleep.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 14, 2020 4:42 PM in response to Daniel Wasinger

Automatic iCloud backups should happen once every 24 hours. So your next one will be 24 hours since the last successful automatic or manual backup file’s time stamp. If the device is not plugged in and online at 24 hours, it should try again the very next time it is plugged in and on wifi.

The time it will take to complete the incremental updated backup will depend on the speed of your internet connection, and how much data has changed on your device since the last backup.

Simplest thing is just enable iCloud backups and then leave your phone plugged in and within range of wifi every night while you sleep.

Jan 14, 2020 2:40 PM in response to Daniel Wasinger

It is usually 24 hours, but it can depend. Normally the iPhone has to be connected to wi-fi, power, and the screen locked longer than 2 hours, and it also can depend on the last backup. Understand, part of what I'm saying is just a guess as I cannot be sure, but it seems that mine didn't start last night until about 2.5 hours after I put it on the charger and went to bed.

Jan 15, 2020 9:26 AM in response to Daniel Wasinger

As others have said, it isn't instant, and if you are more worried about instant, then you can create a new iCloud backup in Settings, but when you charge your iPhone overnight, like most people do when they sleep, it will backup daily like that. It is what I do and I get a fresh backup every night. My backup last night, was actually early this morning, because I didn't put my iPhone on to charge until after 11:00pm, and my backup was at 12:14am.

When does iPhone get backed up using iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.