You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough disk space on iMovie with new Mac

Hi,

I bought a new Mac 3 months ago with 500 GB of disk space.

Today, I decided to start creating a movie for a recent trip I did. So, I opened up iMovie and tried to import some videos, but I encountered the following error:

There is not enough disk space available at the selected destination. Please choose another one or clear some space.

I was very surprised, so the first thing I did was to check whether I actually have free space, and it turns out I do have quite a lot.

I searched online about solutions, but all of them are focusing on freeing up space, which doesn't seem to be the issue in my case. I've also tried deleting the iMovie preferences, by holding the Option + Command keys when opening the app, but still had the same problem.

Can someone please help me out? Am I doing something wrong?

Best regards,

Alex

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 1:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 7:48 AM

Hi,

The "not enough disk space" issue has been raised by others on this forum. Fortunately, it is easily solved by simply redownloading iMovie. To do that, drag your iMovie app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your app store account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. That will display a list of your purchases, including iMovie. Redownload iMovie from there. If for some reason the redownload is unavailable or unsuccessful, drag your old iMovie app from the trash and put it back into the Applications folder. However, the redownlad should be successful and it will cure the "not enough disk space" issue.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2020 7:48 AM in response to alexandros.ntousias

Hi,

The "not enough disk space" issue has been raised by others on this forum. Fortunately, it is easily solved by simply redownloading iMovie. To do that, drag your iMovie app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Then sign in to the app store and open your app store account by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. That will display a list of your purchases, including iMovie. Redownload iMovie from there. If for some reason the redownload is unavailable or unsuccessful, drag your old iMovie app from the trash and put it back into the Applications folder. However, the redownlad should be successful and it will cure the "not enough disk space" issue.

-- Rich

Not enough disk space on iMovie with new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.