You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Photo library is locked or you do not have the necessary permissions" after Catalina upgrade

I store my Photos library on an external drive. After the Catalina upgrade, I receive the message "Photo library is locked or you do not have the necessary permissions" when attempting to open the the library with Photos. The Photos repair tool fails. I have the library backed up with Carbonite, but I'm concerned that the version I restore will have the same problem. (I'm downloading the backup to my desktop now; it has not finished downloading from Carbonite servers yet.) Has anyone solved this issue?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 10:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 2:26 PM

You don't have an Ignore Ownership option because it thinks it is a Time Machine drive. You cannot ignore ownership on a startup volume or a Time Machine volume.

Based on those permissions, I'm not sure why you are getting the errors you are getting. The only thing I can think is because it thinks it is a Time Machine drive, but I don't know how that would cause the issues you see.. Is there a Backups.backupd folder or sparsebundle disk image on the drive? Or, are you actually using it as a Time Machine drive?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2020 2:26 PM in response to MarkCCC78

You don't have an Ignore Ownership option because it thinks it is a Time Machine drive. You cannot ignore ownership on a startup volume or a Time Machine volume.

Based on those permissions, I'm not sure why you are getting the errors you are getting. The only thing I can think is because it thinks it is a Time Machine drive, but I don't know how that would cause the issues you see.. Is there a Backups.backupd folder or sparsebundle disk image on the drive? Or, are you actually using it as a Time Machine drive?

Jan 5, 2020 7:58 PM in response to Barney-15E

Success! The library, once copied over to my desktop, updated - I guess for the Catalina upgrade - and then opened and operated as expected. Thank you Barney. You da man. And I am now no longer panicking over 160GB of irreplaceable media. I'm guessing my Carbonite backed up version would have worked too, but I never got around to downloading it all.

"Photo library is locked or you do not have the necessary permissions" after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.