You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to select which number to message when contact has an iPhone and an android?

My husband has an iPhone for work and an android personal phone. I have both of his phone numbers under one contact. Before I updated my phone, I had two separate messages for his two phone numbers. Now they are merged. This is fine, but I want to be able to select which number I am messaging. It seems to always default to iMessaging his iPhone, even when the last message in the conversation is a text from his android. Even when I try selecting his android number in his contact card, it will still switch back to iMessage. Does anyone know a work-around for this, other than putting in separate contact cards for his two phone numbers? I like having them merged, I just want to be able to select the right number?!

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 7:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 7:46 AM

The Android was never iMessage enabled. The problem isn't that it's trying to iMessage his Android phone, it's that it automatically iMessages his iPhone and will not let me select his Android phone number.

3 replies

How to select which number to message when contact has an iPhone and an android?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.