You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does this mean and why...........

I have had this a couple of times pop up on my MacBook.

I have a modem that is switched to a hub and then runs to my apple Airport Exterem 5th Gen.

Its very secure with a very good password and the only people that use is or have access to this is myself and my wife.

We have the following items that are all apple devices.

2011 Macbook Pro

2017 Macbook

iPad mini 4

Series 3 Apple Watch (GPS & CELLULAR)

Series 5 Apple Watch (GPS)

iPhone Xs

iPhone 8

Can anyone tell me why this appears on my MacBook every now and then ?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 9:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 10:34 AM

It means exactly what is says. 2 or more devices have been assigned the same IP address.

It does not mean anyone is accessing your network.

It just means, for some reason an IP address assigned to one device got assigned to another one as well. This can happen if for instance your Mac was sleeping, and to the router it appeared as if the IP had been released, and so it assigned it to another device that connected to the network, then your Mac turned back on, but was still holding on to that IP address, and did not immediately get a new one. So it would show two devices using the same IP. This generally is resolved quickly when one of the devices requests a new IP address.

You can avoid this by having either manually assigned IPs, or device specific IPs at the router, so each device gets the same IP always. Then there's no chance of duplication.

But, yes, disconnecting all devices from the Wifi network, and power cycling the router should also get rid of it at least for a while.

Also, and Airport Express cannot be a modem. It lacks the hardware for that. Your Virgin Hub is still your modem as its what is connecting to your internet service, and I assume your Airport is just acting as a wireless hotspot. Assuming the Airport is not acting as a router and assigning IP addresses, then power cycling will get rid of the issue for a while.

Otherwise, if both the Virgin Hub and the Airport are assigning IP addresses at the same time, they eventually may try to assing the same address to different devices at the same time which causes the error. In which case you would need to make sure only one device is assigning IP addresses.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2019 10:34 AM in response to Trophy376

It means exactly what is says. 2 or more devices have been assigned the same IP address.

It does not mean anyone is accessing your network.

It just means, for some reason an IP address assigned to one device got assigned to another one as well. This can happen if for instance your Mac was sleeping, and to the router it appeared as if the IP had been released, and so it assigned it to another device that connected to the network, then your Mac turned back on, but was still holding on to that IP address, and did not immediately get a new one. So it would show two devices using the same IP. This generally is resolved quickly when one of the devices requests a new IP address.

You can avoid this by having either manually assigned IPs, or device specific IPs at the router, so each device gets the same IP always. Then there's no chance of duplication.

But, yes, disconnecting all devices from the Wifi network, and power cycling the router should also get rid of it at least for a while.

Also, and Airport Express cannot be a modem. It lacks the hardware for that. Your Virgin Hub is still your modem as its what is connecting to your internet service, and I assume your Airport is just acting as a wireless hotspot. Assuming the Airport is not acting as a router and assigning IP addresses, then power cycling will get rid of the issue for a while.

Otherwise, if both the Virgin Hub and the Airport are assigning IP addresses at the same time, they eventually may try to assing the same address to different devices at the same time which causes the error. In which case you would need to make sure only one device is assigning IP addresses.

Dec 30, 2019 10:14 AM in response to Trophy376

Then what it means is that your Virgin Super Hub is becoming confused at times about which devices are connected to the network.

Although your AirPort Extreme might be providing a WiFi signal for the network, it is the SuperHub that is in charge of providing IP addresses to all of the devices on the network.

Try powering off every device on your network.....Super Hub, AirPort, all other devices, etc......in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Power up the SuperHub and let it run a minute

Then start up the AirPort Extreme and let it run a minute

Keep powering up other devices one at a time about a minute apart

Check the network

This "power cycle" will allow the Super Hub to give every device a new fresh IP address. It would be a good idea for you to perform this power cycle about once a month.

Dec 30, 2019 10:34 AM in response to Phil0124

My MacBook was still on a webpage and it has not been used for 2 days, When I opened it back up it was on the

same web page as I closed the lid and this message was there.

Thank you for all you help and understanding this.

I know now to close pages and shutdown all devices and ever few weeks to switch things off for a minute of two.

What does this mean and why...........

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.