You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removing an old non-operating backup drive and installing a backup drive.

!/. My original external backup disk has failed to "read only" and needs replacing. How do I do this?

Also, do i need to transfer data from the above drive before I remove it from my system first? Or the fact that it is now "read only" does that mean I can't retain data too??

Afraid I am not too good at this type of thing!

2/. I have purchased a new Seagate Backup plus portable 4 TB, and, according to seagate, this drive should allow use and access to Apple time machine.

How do I do this please?

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 2:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 2:51 PM

Try this first:

• right click on your old external drive
  • left click on Get info
  • At the bottom of the window you get: unlock the padlock. Can you change read only in Read and write?

You can use your Seagate drive to use as a TimeMachine backup drive. If you connect the drive with your Mac, you probably get the question if you want to use it as a TimeMachine back-up drive. If you don't get this message, let ik know and we'll help you through it. You don't have to install any software

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2019 2:51 PM in response to platypus10

Try this first:

• right click on your old external drive
  • left click on Get info
  • At the bottom of the window you get: unlock the padlock. Can you change read only in Read and write?

You can use your Seagate drive to use as a TimeMachine backup drive. If you connect the drive with your Mac, you probably get the question if you want to use it as a TimeMachine back-up drive. If you don't get this message, let ik know and we'll help you through it. You don't have to install any software

removing an old non-operating backup drive and installing a backup drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.