You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture migration

Hi

I changed my Mac and I was wondering how best to configure the library, to continue using Aperture on the new Mac. (yes I know, it's outdated, but I need it currently)

I chose to keep my originals on my new Mac, for rapidity of access reasons.

So I had an aperture library on my old Mac, which was referencing my pics on a separate hard drive.

I copied the originals to the new Mac, then I copied the Aperture library.

What happens now is when I open the library on the new Mac, everything is working, except I only have the previews. Each pic is disconnected

I can for each pic locate the new emplacement of the original on the new Mac and change it, through Menu/Localize reference file then browsing to the target file.

However I have around 15 000 pics, mostly jpeg/raw pairs, and cannot do it by hand.

So I was wondering what is the best solution for me :

1) Writing an apple script to automate it. The architecture of files is the same, so it could be quite easy.

2) Using a hidden re-connecting function that I have not found so far (maybe using banks)

3) Start over again, erasing my 15 000 pics /350 Gb that took hours to copy and using my old Mac on aperture to kind of export it on the new Mac. Both after connected through wifi, but I suspect it would be very slow.

Any idea ?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 8:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 6:52 AM

Well. Actually, I reconsidered my problem an saw that Aperture is smart enough to reconnect all pics at once. Just select all of them in the photos tab, use Menu/Localize reference file then browsing to the target root of new photothèque and voilà ! thousands of pictures reconnected in less than a minute :-)

How I miss Aperture !

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2020 6:52 AM in response to HugoMe

Well. Actually, I reconsidered my problem an saw that Aperture is smart enough to reconnect all pics at once. Just select all of them in the photos tab, use Menu/Localize reference file then browsing to the target root of new photothèque and voilà ! thousands of pictures reconnected in less than a minute :-)

How I miss Aperture !

Jan 24, 2020 7:53 AM in response to HugoMe

That is exactly what is missing in Photos when having to move referenced files to a replacement drive.

It is even easier in Aperture if you avoid to have to reconnect the originals. Next time try it this way:

• With the referenced originals still on the original volume select the photos and videos in Aperture, then use the command "File > Relocate Originals" and select the new volume as the destinations.
  • Now Aperture will know how to find the originals, since it moved them itself. No need to reconnect them.

Jan 3, 2020 4:29 AM in response to HugoMe

I have a similar problem - thousands of images on various Aperture from the original to version 3 and now have to migrate them but variious files which are squirrelled away inside by Apple Aperture. Many of the images were updated enhanced just as I wished them to be and I would love to access them but apparently all this enhancement is totally lost when migrating.

In my case images are sometimes held in the original aperture on the computer I was working on at the time and often on seperate discs. Nightmare finding them all but wish to do this.

I'm wondering if there is a guru with Apple or elsewhere who has had the same problem and has a work method to systematically retrieve the files (I'm aware they may be as I shot them s(ometimes just in jpeg but often in RAW and jpeg).

I was cndidering to put all files into Microsofts EXPRESSION MEDIA as its simple to locate the files and so forth. I also have Affinity and a version of Photoshop but believe EXPRESSION MEDIA which I also currently use would be better for me. Wishing to knock this on the head doe year 2020.

Anyone else have the same/similar problem?

I was considering visiting a GURU at an Apple venue (Bluewater) as they used to assist with problems but having trouble contacting them at Bluewater. In the meantime I thought I should use the COMMUNITIES SUPPORT FORUM to see if this issue (APERTURE simple MIGRATION) and how to organise this with the problems I have mentioned above - and if this problem is still fairly widespread?

Jan 3, 2020 4:40 AM in response to Quid-nunc

Quid-nunc

Microsofts EXPRESSION MEDIA? Seriously?

MS sold that to CaptureOne in 2010 (!), and no longer develop or support it. CaptureOne killed it off it 2018. Really, if you're leaving Aperture you should at least go for an app that is still being developed and current, not one as dead as Aperture is.

Read the History and Releases section are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_One_Media_Pro

As for finding all your images: that's down to you. You'll need to gather all your Aperture Libraries into one place to work o them. What you get from there really depends on what app you choose to move to and also, if Aperture still runs on your Mac.

This problem was widespread five years ago, when Apple abandoned Aperture.

Jan 3, 2020 4:44 AM in response to HugoMe

Whoops1 I realise I have replied to you HugoMe and not as a general question to the communities forum.

Maybe you have had a reply/solved your situation but I'd like to hear if you did. Otherwise I'll try the GURU route with Apple.

One further complication I have (which you may not) is that systems have changes a lot and connections to discs and computers with it - for instance I have FireWire 400 and 800 and USB2 and 3 but also the relatively new fast Lightening Thunderbolt discs 4TB and 5TB where I'd like to store the final photo files. I understand it may be a long process from some images on much slower discs.

What is disappointing is that Apple never gave a way of preserving the enhancements to images when migrating to another catalogue system. It was a little bit similar to their finishing with FinalCut movie editing. A version was brought out without all the controls we had previously and then we seemed to have a period where we had to use something else with the learning curve attached...

Apologies that I'm groaning.

Aperture migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.