You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am attempting to install software that requires the root admin. The installer is mounted on my normal desktop. How do I access it or do I have to download it as root?

I am attempting to install software that requires the root admin. The installer is mounted on my normal desktop. How do I access it or do I have to download it as root?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 11:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 12:37 PM

You can forget about Broderbund's PrintShop4 on Catalina. It is still 32-bit software and is not supported on the 64-bit only Catalina. BroderBund has not given an estimate of when they will have a 64-bit version available.

This vendor has had all of ten years to create 64-bit software for macOS, Apple has provided the development tools to do this, and still the vendor ignored producing 64-bit software for macOS. Their focus is Windoze.

Any vendor whose instructions inform you that you need root access to install their product — is to be avoided.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2019 12:37 PM in response to coachpfahl

You can forget about Broderbund's PrintShop4 on Catalina. It is still 32-bit software and is not supported on the 64-bit only Catalina. BroderBund has not given an estimate of when they will have a 64-bit version available.

This vendor has had all of ten years to create 64-bit software for macOS, Apple has provided the development tools to do this, and still the vendor ignored producing 64-bit software for macOS. Their focus is Windoze.

Any vendor whose instructions inform you that you need root access to install their product — is to be avoided.

Dec 23, 2019 12:21 PM in response to coachpfahl

It is a terrible idea to require activating the root user to install software. Whatever the software requires for installation this should not be it. Broderbund's programmer doesn't quite know what he/she is doing.

If you are logged into a different user account, that is probably why you cannot see the installer. It must be in a folder of your other user account to which you do not have access. Just re-download it into your root user account.

Broderbund should provide a much cleaner method for installing their software. Not many users are safely able to activate and deactivate the root user account. Unless you cannot find other software that can do what this software does, I would look for a replacement. There is no limit of damage that an inexperienced user can unknowingly do with root privileges.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.