You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to select desktop by number

I have two MacBook Pros and one iMac, all running Catalina 10.15.2. I suddenly find that on the MacBooks, ^1, ^2, ^3, etc. can no longer be used to select a Desktop (space). Instead you must either open Mission Control and select the Desktop by hand, or swipe through spaces one at a time using ^ RightArrow, ^ LeftArrow, or three- or four-fingered swipes on the trackpad.

Curiously, on the iMac ^1, ^2, ^3, etc. still work.

In principle, spaces are very useful. Essential in fact. But unless there is some set of commands that I have been unable to discover, spaces seem virtually impossible to control in a sensible way. They are unscriptable and the poorly documented interface seems forever changing.

Does anybody have any insight into what gives?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 10:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 11:02 PM

If you want to check or set up your own shortcuts for moving to different Desktops/ spaces then open System Preferences>

Keyboard>Shortcuts>Mission Control.

Similar questions

3 replies

Unable to select desktop by number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.