You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alphabet in dial pad

What’s the use of alphabet in dial pad as it is can’t be worked?

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 3:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 8:30 AM

One exmple: In the old days (i.e., I haven't seen it in a long time), some companies automated phone system might ask you to enter an account number that was alpha-numeric (e.g. D1234) and you could do that on a push-button landline phone or a cell phone by pressing the 3 key for the D in the account number.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2019 8:30 AM in response to apu65

One exmple: In the old days (i.e., I haven't seen it in a long time), some companies automated phone system might ask you to enter an account number that was alpha-numeric (e.g. D1234) and you could do that on a push-button landline phone or a cell phone by pressing the 3 key for the D in the account number.

Dec 16, 2019 9:10 AM in response to apu65

apu65 wrote:

Because I can get the saved contact name dialling in any android phone. But I guess it’s not possible in iPhone. Finally a lot of thanks to reply me.

No, that's not a feature of the iPhone.

You can use Spotlight to search for contacts. Or, you can ask Siri to dial the contact for you.

Use Search on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Dec 16, 2019 8:50 AM in response to apu65

apu65 wrote:

What’s the use of alphabet in dial pad as it is can’t be worked?

When I was a kid our phone number was HUnter 2 8733 and my grandparent’s was GEdney 6 2027 (you just dialed the first 2 letters). So it’s partly tradition, but many companies still choose phone numbers that spell something, as in KiltedTim’s example. I personally think it’s silly, but my opinion doesn’t matter.

On my landline phone I can use the letters on the keypad to create a label for saved contacts. For example, if the first letter of the label was a “C” I press the ‘2’ button 3 times to get to C. And I got to create my own phone number when I made a Google Voice number. It spells something that is meaningful to me.

Dec 16, 2019 9:10 AM in response to apu65

You call a saved contact by going to the Contacts app. If it’s a contact you call frequently you can make it a Favorite and tap the Phone icon, then Favorites to call it. If it’s one of the past 100 numbers you have called go to Phone/Recents and tap on the number. But the way I usually do it is say “Hey Siri, call my wife’s mobile” or “Hey Siri” and the name of any of my contacts.

alphabet in dial pad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.