You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backups for Mail

I bought a new WD USBC 4tb to create backups from my MacBook Pro.

I have been backing up now for 5 days.

When I open mail and then click the Time Machine icon and choose Enter Time Machine, it looks like there are no backups there. I cant scroll backwards through time and there appears to be no emails, even though the title bar shows a total number of emails. The Restore button is always greyed out.

Sometimes I have done the same and the emails do appear there but the Subject line doesnt show - instead it appears like t he subject is a sequence of random letters (and numbers?) ie AHB0XSA or similar.

As a side note, whilst in the updated Catalina Mail app, you can't move around or resize the mail columns, you can do this within the backup screen.

Any help/advice/suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 4:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 4:22 AM

FYI - going into to Time Machine when not in mail, works fine. It brings up the Time Machine finder and I can scroll through backups and choose what I want to restore.

Similar questions

1 reply

Time Machine Backups for Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.