You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218: What does this error mean? MacOS 10.15.1

This error happens with I attempt to mount and external drive that is connected to a macmini 2018 via thunderbolt 3. I can run "first aid" on the external drive, I can get info on the drive, I just can't mount it. I get "com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218" when I try to mount it after rebooting. I can erase it, reformat it, and it will mount. Then I can read it and write it, but when I reboot the machine I back with the error and cannot mount the filesystem What is going on? If I had a clue what the error meant I might be able to figure it out.

I'm formatting the drive using APFS. Is that part of problem? I have another external drive, configured as Journaled Mac OS Extended file system, connected via USB-A 3 port, and it remounts just fine. What gives?

MacOS 10.15.1

MacMini 2018

AKiTiO SK-2520 external USB-C 3 drive via thunderbolt port

Thank!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 5:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 4:44 AM

Reformatting the external drive using a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system appears to have resolved the problem. Originally it was formatted APFS. Why would APFS cause a problem? I still don't understand what the error was and I would like to if anyone has anyone has any feedback. Perhaps Apple can document the com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error code meanings.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 9, 2019 4:44 AM in response to mymacsrock

Reformatting the external drive using a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system appears to have resolved the problem. Originally it was formatted APFS. Why would APFS cause a problem? I still don't understand what the error was and I would like to if anyone has anyone has any feedback. Perhaps Apple can document the com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error code meanings.

com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218: What does this error mean? MacOS 10.15.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.