You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Instructions to remove DRM from old songs resulted in songs being deleted w/o being replaced DRM-free

I'm trying to remove DRM from old songs in my library that have a Matched status. I have iTunes Match and followed the instructions posted in iTunes Help. As directed, I deleted an album and a song and tried to re-add them thru Store/Quick Links/Purchased. Both the album and song were "not found". Now I've lost these items from my library and am unable to reload them as DRM-free.

Help! Is there a safe process to remove DRM from old music? Can my former DRM protected music be recovered?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 1:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 2:02 PM

See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support and Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support. Unhide and redownload the DRM purchases.

Once the purchases are stored on your computer again and shown in your library as matched, right-click and use the Remove Download option, then click the cloud symbol to download a DRM free copy. Back those up straight away. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - Apple Community for a suggested approach to backing up everything.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 4, 2019 2:02 PM in response to Newbie288

See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support and Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support. Unhide and redownload the DRM purchases.

Once the purchases are stored on your computer again and shown in your library as matched, right-click and use the Remove Download option, then click the cloud symbol to download a DRM free copy. Back those up straight away. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - Apple Community for a suggested approach to backing up everything.

tt2

Instructions to remove DRM from old songs resulted in songs being deleted w/o being replaced DRM-free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.