You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MF4370dn suddenly cannot print

All of a sudden I cannot print from my MacBook Air (Yosemite 10.10.5) via USB to a Canon MF4370dn. I get the messages: "Printer open failed.: -9781" and "You need to install software to use this printer. ..." I went to the Canon site, and downloaded the driver mac-UFRII-LIPSLX-v10191-06. A simple install etc did not fix the message. I've tried lots of things, deleting, reinstalling, deleting Canon files in Library, restarting... nothing is getting it to work. Any ideas?

Thank you so much.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 9:29 AM

Figured it out; will post in case anyone else is having this issue:

Unplugged printer.

Reinstalled the driver from Canon (for the umpteenth time ha ha) "mac-UFRII-LIPSLX-v10191-06.dmg"

Plugged printer; it lit up

For no reason, unattached then reattached the USB cable bet printer and computer

In System Preferences, Printers and Scanners:

I could still see the printer icon as I had seen it before (kinda generic printer image), and knew this wouldn't be sufficient, so:

I selected the + to add a new printer

From the Add menu, I selected "Canon MF4360-4390 UFRII LT" via USB (as I had before)

Here is the step I had not done previously:

At the bottom of the window is a selection "Use" with "Choose a Driver" pull down.

From the pull down list, I went to "Select Software ..."

From that pull down list I selected "Canon MF4360-4390" then OK

Upon the return to the Add box, I clicked on Add

I noticed that the icon image for the printer changed to look more like the actual device

I deleted the previously installed driver for the printer

It now works. I have no idea why I had to do this manually, but so be it.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2019 9:29 AM in response to I do not want one

Figured it out; will post in case anyone else is having this issue:

Unplugged printer.

Reinstalled the driver from Canon (for the umpteenth time ha ha) "mac-UFRII-LIPSLX-v10191-06.dmg"

Plugged printer; it lit up

For no reason, unattached then reattached the USB cable bet printer and computer

In System Preferences, Printers and Scanners:

I could still see the printer icon as I had seen it before (kinda generic printer image), and knew this wouldn't be sufficient, so:

I selected the + to add a new printer

From the Add menu, I selected "Canon MF4360-4390 UFRII LT" via USB (as I had before)

Here is the step I had not done previously:

At the bottom of the window is a selection "Use" with "Choose a Driver" pull down.

From the pull down list, I went to "Select Software ..."

From that pull down list I selected "Canon MF4360-4390" then OK

Upon the return to the Add box, I clicked on Add

I noticed that the icon image for the printer changed to look more like the actual device

I deleted the previously installed driver for the printer

It now works. I have no idea why I had to do this manually, but so be it.

Canon MF4370dn suddenly cannot print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.