You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina 10.15.1: problems opening files, multiple applications

Since upgrading to Catalina on my Macbook Air (2015) I have had occasional problems opening files in multiple applications, including (so far) Preview, Keynote, MS Word, Scrivener, and others. When trying to open a file, I get the simple message "The file [X] could not be opened", with no further information. There do not seem to be permissions problems with the files themselves.

Rebooting the computer seems to resolve the problem, but then within a couple of days it crops up again. Has anyone had a similar issue, and is there a solution?

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 11:40 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 21, 2019 1:07 PM in response to ajfisher1970

Same thing started happening on my iMac 2017 recently (after Catalina upgrade). I can't open ANY file, weather from inside an app or double-click/right click open with... All is fine after a reboot, then after a while it starts again.

Workaround I've discovered... I have no problems opening files in "Downloads" folder, go figure. So I copy (since I can't even move) a file to Downloads folder and then open with a double-click. This is concerning, I initially suspected my "Fusion Drive", but if it was a hardware issue, it wouldn't open fresh after a reboot either, right?

Nov 21, 2019 2:25 PM in response to Juroski

This may or may not be relevant, but recently I've also noticed there are times where my Microsoft Office applications in particular (Word, Excel) simply will not open files. You double-click them from Finder, or select them from the Office menu, and literally nothing happens. Here too, a reboot solves the problem. Hard to tell if it's related.

Catalina 10.15.1: problems opening files, multiple applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.