You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy / save a homemade DVD to flash drive?

I want to copy a homemade personal DVD movie to a flash drive and be able to play it from the flash drive. How do I do it?

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 5:07 AM

3 replies

Nov 18, 2019 10:53 AM in response to Noneya777

If you just want to play the movie on a computer use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the DVD disc and it's contents.

Then copy the disk image to the flash drive by dragging and dropping.

The contents of the DVD should look like this:

When the flash drive is connected to a computer the disk image should be double clicked on to open it. Then, on Macs, you'll be able to play the video DVD with DVD Player or VLC.

Nov 18, 2019 10:36 AM in response to Old Toad

Universal Disc Format (UDF)

I had some old Hi8 and VHS home movies converted and put on to DVDs. The DVs don't look like anything special. They automatically play when I put them in my MacBook. I want to share them with family, I was thinking that the least expensive way would be to copy them to a USB Stick, those are the least inexpensive since I have 23 DVDs to share and a blank DVD is about a dollar.

I tried saving one to my MacBook, followed Apple instructions, but it is just files, it doesn't open a player or anything. I just don't know how to do this, and searching the internet I find all kinds of 3rd party apps for ripping and things but I don't know what I need.

Thank you!

Copy / save a homemade DVD to flash drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.