You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Stuck Preparing Backup

After the Conversion to Catalina, I tried to backup my Macbook Air to a My Passport external 1TB Hard drive as I have done every month. Time Machine never gets beyond "Preparing Backup" even though I let it try for days.

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 11:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 11:13 AM

See if any of the following articles can help:

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 12, 2019 10:43 AM in response to Tesserax

Nothing in the above articles helped. I searched the internet and after trying several recommendations, I found one that solved the problem. I am not sure why it worked, but what was suggested was to reboot the computer with the "My Passport" external drive plugged in to the USB port. During previous efforts, I always unplugged the external drive before rebooting. After more than 12 hours of Time Machine displaying "preparing backup", Time Machine successfully completed the backup.

Nov 12, 2019 11:19 AM in response to RJMustang

I’ve been having the same exact issue with my MBP. I have two external drives hooked up via usb; I’m backing up one external to the other and just using my MBP as the medium. The backup was going absolutely nowhere and stuck on ‘preparing backup’ all night last night. Just before I read this, I had rebooted with both external drives attached and it seems to be making some progress in that the green progress bar has changed to gray. At this point it looks like I need to just leave it alone for 12 hours? This is the first backup I’ve conducted on this machine as well, so perhaps that is a factor.

Time Machine Stuck Preparing Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.