You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retaining date taken when importing photos from other people

I like to be able to sort all my photos by date taken.

But sometimes my imported photos default to the date I imported them when I attempt to sort them by date.

i get many of my photos from others via email, iOS Messages, AirDrop. When I am adding photos to my Photos for Mac what method can I use in order to be able to "Sort by Date" taken?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 2:20 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 26, 2019 2:41 AM in response to C Nelson

i get many of my photos from others via email, iOS Messages, AirDrop.

These sharing methods may be removing the embedded capture date tag because they are creating downsized versions for sharing.

In Photos for Mac you can add the capture date for a photo, if you select a photo and use the menu command "Image > Adjust Date & Time". If you know roughly, when the photo has been taken, set the line "Time Adjusted" to the date and time you want to use for sorting the image. See this Help page - the section "Adjust Date&Time": Add titles, descriptions and more to photos using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 26, 2019 6:38 AM in response to C Nelson

You should transfer the original files to your Mac. The original dates will be written to an embedded XIF tag with the capture date. This may get lost, if the photos are sent as a down-sized attachment. Ask your friends to give you the photos in the original version, copied right from the camera card or downloaded from their phones.

Retaining date taken when importing photos from other people

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.