You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Mac Unlock Not Working

I have a 2018 Mac Mini, a 2013 MacBook Air, and a 2019 Apple Watch Series 5. Both computers have macOS Catalina. I am having an issue with my Apple Watch not auto unlocking my Mac mini. It works great to unlock my MacBook Air with no issues... I sit down, open my laptop, it vibrates and unlocks. With my Mac mini however, the Apple Watch can't lock the computer.

Both computers have FileVault ON. Both computers there are places where I can click the unlock padlock at the bottom and a double tap on the Apple Watch side button will unlock. No matter what I do I can't seem to get it to work on the Mac mini. I have disconnected and reconnected the Apple Watch, I have turned off the watch and computer, I have restarted, and aside from factory resets to one or both I can't get it to work.

Thoughts on how to fix this issue?

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 10:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 2:44 PM

I was able to solve the issue by stopping the use of the USB3 ports on my Mac mini. The mini has a problem where USB3 RF interferes with both WiFi and Bluetooth. I used USB to USB-C adapters with my USB devices to plug them into the Thunderbolt 3 ports and the problem with my Apple Watch unlocking the mini went away. As a bonus, WiFi speed on the mini went way up.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2019 2:44 PM in response to omer2112

I was able to solve the issue by stopping the use of the USB3 ports on my Mac mini. The mini has a problem where USB3 RF interferes with both WiFi and Bluetooth. I used USB to USB-C adapters with my USB devices to plug them into the Thunderbolt 3 ports and the problem with my Apple Watch unlocking the mini went away. As a bonus, WiFi speed on the mini went way up.

Oct 25, 2019 7:24 AM in response to iuser1985

I have tried unpairing and pairing the Apple Watch a couple of times, I also updated the MacOS Catalina as they had an update released. Still having issues. One thing that ties to what I read about it not working when file vault is on, is when you go into users and select “Auto Login” it says it is off. Apparently that needs to be on to properly work but I can’t turn it on because it’s grayed out. Regardless, it looks the same for my MacBook and Auto Unlock with Apple Watch works fine. Next step is I ordered an adapter to not use the USB 3.0 ports and only USB C... we will see what happens.

Oct 26, 2019 4:51 PM in response to iuser1985

I basically shut down my Mac mini, pulled everything out, and re-did my entire connection setup including using a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter for the one USB 3.0 hub I had per the advice of RickB68. At first I was having the whole blank monitor restart issues with my Mac again (separate issue) and when I first logged in the Apple Watch unlock didn't work. BUT I turned off my watch, restarted my computer again, and then turned the watch back on, and turned the unlock back on. It works and the Apple Watch now unlocks my Mac mini again without issue. I will mention that the "Automatic Login" in the window above for login options still says "off" so I am not exactly sure what that is for, but as long as the Apple Watch is checked to unlock the Mac and allow access to admin changes it now works. I am going to chalk it up to the USB 3.0 issue. Super silly if that is honestly a thing. It seems to be a hardware issue.

Apple Watch Mac Unlock Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.