You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari cant connect to server

Installed Catalina, Safari can’t connect to server. The Mac has no trouble accessing the internet to check for updates and download them, it’s just Safari that doesn’t work.

Things I’ve tried:

Rebooted Mac

Uninstalled VPN

Deleted WiFi network and reconnected

Deleted Safari Adblock extension

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 3:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 11:01 AM

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I ended up fixing it the basic way:

Double check backup

Option Command R into Recovery

Erase disk

Install Catalina

Migration Assistant to move everything from the backup EXCEPT computer and network settings

Sort of a nuclear option, but it usually works.

5 replies

Oct 9, 2019 9:36 AM in response to yhnjgkfhkhk

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, yhnjgkfhkhk.

If I understand your post correctly, I'd like to help.

Try these steps:

If Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

If you're still unable to connect with Safari let's do some testing to narrow down the issue.

Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes corrects the issue. This article will tell you how: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If everything is working correctly in safe mode, but is not working when you get back to your user account, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.

If the issue continues while in safe mode, a test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. If the issue happens in the test user also, then please check the section titled "If an issue happens in more than one user account."

If the issue continues, let us know the results of each of these tests. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Oct 9, 2019 1:57 PM in response to Cliff Drew1

I've had several problems like this over the years, when some sort of config or setting file has become corrupted somehow. My local Apple store tried to fix a MacBook Pro 3 times, eventually they replaced the motherboard, and then the problem came back. Every time they would wipe the disk, reinstall the OS, and migrate all my stuff back, including the corrupted config file. Eventually I figured it out myself. For someone who really knows their way around the OS its probably not a big deal, just some file buried in Library that needs deleting.

Wiping the disk, reinstalling the OS, migrating everything EXCEPT settings, has become my default fix for lots of weird problems.

safari cant connect to server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.