You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing.

I’m trying to resurrect an iPhone 7 for a disabled friend. The iPhone is disabled because of too many incorrect password attempts. It’s fine that the data on the phone will be lost in the process of restoring it via iTunes, but when I plug it in and attempt this procedure, iTunes presents an alert with the message, “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing.” Anyone know what value that may be and how to get around it so I can erase and restore the iPhone?

Thanks in advance,

Barry

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 12:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 4:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, sberman. Actually, I had read numerous other discussion posts about this (and similar problems) as well as articles all over the web that recommended just that. But I had my doubts as I always keep my macOS systems up to date. Since iTunes is kept up to date via macOS upgrades, I was pretty certain I had the latest possible versions for my two Macs (iTunes 12.8.2.3 on macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra on a 21.5-inch, mid-2011 iMac and iTunes 12.9.5.5 on macOS 10.14.6 on a 2018, Retina, 13-inch MacBook Air). I tried the process on both and got the same “The value is missing” message.

With a little more research I did, however, figure out how to get past it. The other bit of advice I was reading was to put the phone into recovery mode, then iTunes would deal with it and I could restore it to factory settings. Either I was not reading correctly or the advice was not quite accurate because I was holding in the volume down button and the home button simultaneously but nothing was happening. In re-reading the Apple kbase article I linked to, I found the instructions for the iPhone 7 was to only hold the volume down button in while connecting the device to USB until the connect to iTunes screen appeared, which worked. I am now happily downloading an iOS upgrade that will be used to restore the old iPhone 7 back to factory settings.

It pays to read Apple’s instructions carefully.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2019 4:54 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for the reply, sberman. Actually, I had read numerous other discussion posts about this (and similar problems) as well as articles all over the web that recommended just that. But I had my doubts as I always keep my macOS systems up to date. Since iTunes is kept up to date via macOS upgrades, I was pretty certain I had the latest possible versions for my two Macs (iTunes 12.8.2.3 on macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra on a 21.5-inch, mid-2011 iMac and iTunes 12.9.5.5 on macOS 10.14.6 on a 2018, Retina, 13-inch MacBook Air). I tried the process on both and got the same “The value is missing” message.

With a little more research I did, however, figure out how to get past it. The other bit of advice I was reading was to put the phone into recovery mode, then iTunes would deal with it and I could restore it to factory settings. Either I was not reading correctly or the advice was not quite accurate because I was holding in the volume down button and the home button simultaneously but nothing was happening. In re-reading the Apple kbase article I linked to, I found the instructions for the iPhone 7 was to only hold the volume down button in while connecting the device to USB until the connect to iTunes screen appeared, which worked. I am now happily downloading an iOS upgrade that will be used to restore the old iPhone 7 back to factory settings.

It pays to read Apple’s instructions carefully.

iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.