You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I text the other number in the contact?

I have two different numbers under one contact for a work phone and a personal phone number. I want to text the work number but even if I type It out specifically, I can't text it. Instead the messages/conversation from the other number under the contact are pulled up. How do I text this number without making a separate contact as that is annoying and makes the ability to add multiple numbers to one contact pointless. In the same vein, why can't I see which number I am texting in the messages app? It only shows the name of the contact so I don't know if I'm texting the right phone.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 10:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 10:56 PM

You can

1. Start a new message
  2. Type the first or few letters of the contact
  3. Tap the > on the right to choose which number you want to use (if the contact has 2 or 3 numbers)
  4. Compose your text then tap send.

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 12, 2019 5:21 PM in response to Chico123one

After numerous calls to Apple I finally was able to talk to someone who would take the time to help me!! That's the good news, the bad news is that with the new 13. upgrade the Apple engineers determined that they screwed up on the I-Phone 7 and below. One can only test to one number on your contacts even if you do what everyone has suggested. The only way around this is to create a separate contact for each number you have...for me I run my business with this BRAND NEW I-PHONE 7 I JUST BOUGHT. I have over 900 contacts with multiple numbers!

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 20, 2020 3:10 PM in response to On-Top-Of-The-World

My boss and I are both having this same issue. And only since the last update.

Certainly anyone with multiple numbers under one contact would be in the same boat.

I have hundreds of business contacts with multiple reps in each that are able to text, and there is no way I can take the time to redo my contact cards. Who has time for that? I spent years making them! wtf apple?

Only workaround I have found is to pull up past text messages from all the contacts in that card, and delete the texts and start a new text to whom I need. But then I lose my text history! Sometimes I have important timelines I don't want to lose. Please fix apple.

How do I text the other number in the contact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.