You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sending SMS messages from childs icloud account using imessage

Hello- my under-13 child has an icloud account and he has access to that account using a Mac laptop. He does NOT have an iphone or ipad that is logged in under his account (yet). He likes to text using the iMessages app on the laptop and is able to do this successfully with his friends who also have Apple devices. However, he wants to be able to text his non-Apple device friends/family as well. Is there a way to do this without using a separate SMS app? Thank you in advance!

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 9:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 2:32 PM

So if I were to sign out of my Apple ID on my iphone (which is currently SMS text capable), and sign in using the child's Apple ID, then enable SMS forwarding, could I then sign back in to my Apple ID on my iphone and then it would work? I don't want to have to get a separate iPhone for the child if I don't have to right now. Thanks again!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2019 2:32 PM in response to Tesserax

So if I were to sign out of my Apple ID on my iphone (which is currently SMS text capable), and sign in using the child's Apple ID, then enable SMS forwarding, could I then sign back in to my Apple ID on my iphone and then it would work? I don't want to have to get a separate iPhone for the child if I don't have to right now. Thanks again!

sending SMS messages from childs icloud account using imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.