You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to set my own music for alarm, not working any longer in ios 13

I want to use my own music for alarm. I have always have the same alarm for 20 years and don't want to change. In ios13 I can no longer choose from my itunes library. I also don't want to use the bedtime sounds that are included, don't like them. If I wake up with one of the rings that are included I jump a meter high... Why did apple change that? I want that function back...

All third apps can't be used anymore as they need to be in the foreground or they don't work. So if you want to read or work, but forget to set your alarm in the foreground, you are not in a good place in the morning. The apple alarm clock worked in the background. You set the alarm and it keeps it.

Or I need a third party alarm that does work in the background... Any insights?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 7:49 AM

4 replies

Sep 24, 2019 5:25 AM in response to Catherine Lucas

Hi Catherine Lucas,

Thanks for the reply. Have you restarted your iPhone since you noticed this was happening? Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you delete one of the alarms that doesn't work and then create a new one with the same settings, does that work?

You mentioned the Bedtime function; have you tested turning this off to see if that helps? Set an alarm or bedtime schedule on iPhone:

"Change your bedtime schedule

To change your Bedtime schedule, do any of the following:

• Set the alarm days: Tap the days of the week.
  • Adjust your sleep and wake times: Slide  and .
  • Turn off bedtime reminders: Tap , tap Options, tap Bedtime Reminder, then tap None.
  • In Options, you can also turn Do Not Disturb During Bedtime on or off, track your time in bed, and set your wake-up sound and volume."

Try turning off bedtime reminders as shown above.

Sep 24, 2019 8:26 AM in response to chris_g1

I had if restarted many times. I was a beta user for 13 from the start. I got it fixed with setting the sleep thing to none. Annoying though that I can not remove the sleeper alarm out of alarm clock. I would like the two not to be intertwined. Anyway, I will test it again in the morning and hopefully this piglet has been washed! Thanks.

Sep 23, 2019 10:43 AM in response to Catherine Lucas

Hi Catherine Lucas,

Thanks for posting. I see you have a question about available sounds for alarms in the Clock app.

To clarify, what happens when you try selecting a song from your library? Try opening the Clock app and then tap Edit, followed by the alarm in question. Then tap Sound and, under "Songs," tap Pick a song. What do you see when you try this? How to set and manage alarms on your iPhone

Also, to double-check, are you referring to songs that are synced to iPhone from iTunes, songs purchased in the iTunes Store, or songs from the Apple Music app?

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

Sep 23, 2019 8:22 PM in response to Chris_D13

I know how to set a sound from my itunes library in my clock alarm. After upgrading to 13 it no longer works. I try it out in the evening and it works, but in the morning does not go off. It used to do it without problems for the previous ten years. I wonder if it has to do with the bedtime routine. I am also peeved that third party apps need to be in the foreground to work, that is for the 3th party alarm apps. All very annoying. I can not afford to miss a plane or anything else on time schedule. I hate to have to carry an alarm clock again. I have all kinds of music in my library, purchased, taken from CD’s that I own, downloaded legally... I do not use the apple music app. I want my music on my computer, I buy it. Again, I paid 1500 dollar for my phone and want to be able to use it as an alarm clock amongst other things. I do not understand why third party apps need to be in the foreground. The phone has to be on, plugged in, the minute you try to read a message the 3th party app is no longer in the foreground and you have to set it up again. I have insomnia and often read in the night, now I also have to remember to put the 3th party clock app back in the foreground. It will also not work if Do not disturb is on... Why is apple making it so difficult? If the native app does not work I should have the right to buy a 3th party app that works for me, without all that hassle. Apple makes my life more difficult instead of easier...

Want to set my own music for alarm, not working any longer in ios 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.