You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removing and adding a printer

Hello

I have some troubles to access my Canon printer over wifi, and tried to reinstall the printerdriver. In short: reinstalling doesn't work. By opening the Setup.app causes a very short "hickup" of something internal but nothing happens with the installation.

Is it possible that former installation files or preflists are hindering this setup? If this is the case then how do I remove these old (maybe hidden) settings? I already removed the old printersettings from the printer & scanner list.

Thanks in advance

Hans

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 4:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 10:53 AM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Any devices that previously appeared in your Printer List and Fax List will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X...

1. To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X, follow these steps:

2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

3. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.

4. Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..." 

As an alternative, if you currently have one or more printers listed, you can Option-click the "-" (Remove printer) button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

Reboot.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2019 10:53 AM in response to hanyvo

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Any devices that previously appeared in your Printer List and Fax List will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X...

1. To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X, follow these steps:

2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

3. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.

4. Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..." 

As an alternative, if you currently have one or more printers listed, you can Option-click the "-" (Remove printer) button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

Reboot.

Oct 16, 2019 6:05 AM in response to hanyvo

Know the basic reason for why the printer is not responding!! reinstall the printer driver can help alot but follow more steps to access my Canon printer over wifi or How to Fix My Canon Printer Offline Issue

Follow the following step for the solution of it-

Solution 1: Restarting the printer spooler

Solution 2: Disabling Use printer offline feature

Solution 3: Reinstalling software of Canon printer

Solution 4: Solving connection issue

Maybe this can follow the problem if not then you can go through the referred link i have been through

And If Canon wireless printer not responding

Solution No. 1- Switch on Network Discovery

Solution No. 2- Restarting the printer spooler

Solution No. 3- Disabling third-party firewall

Solution No. 4- Using of printer troubleshooter

Thanks

Oct 16, 2019 6:32 AM in response to tomh0049

Thank you so much for your kind input.

I used some of BDAqua's suggestions: didn't reboot in safe mode but removed all the printer settings. Tried to install the printerdriver, but that was unsuccessful. Shut down the computer and printer, connected the printer with an usb cable, switched everything on with fingers crossed and ... there appeared the printer name in the printer list. Connection is over usb.

So, some communication with the printer happened. Somehow OSX succeeded in finding and using the "old" printersoftware. A printer testpage confirmed my guess. Now I could use the Canon IJ Netwerk Tool -which is in the Canon Utilities folder- to setup the wifi configuration (router name, encryption method and passcode etc). After the update of these settings another printer is added. This is the wifi version. Set this printer as the default, and I'm in business again.

Hans

removing and adding a printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.