You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes run from External Hard Drive does not recognize when iPhone is connected, so I cannot back up

Many years ago I moved my iTunes (and Photos) to an external hard drive to save space on my Mac. After updating to Mojave, now when I connect the external hard drive (Seagate), then connect my iPhone, and open iTunes, the iPhone is not showing up on connected. Thus, I cannot backup my iPhone nor update the iTunes libraries.

I have tried to open iTunes via various routes ("command" then iTunes to be sure it's connecting to the correct library; opening iTunes directly from the external drive, etc...) and it iPhone is not showing up anywhere.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 2:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 8:45 AM

The location of your library isn't relevant to the issue with device detection. See If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support. Use a known good cable, check the docking port for fluff, unlock the device before connecting, trust the computer if prompted.

tt2

3 replies

iTunes run from External Hard Drive does not recognize when iPhone is connected, so I cannot back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.