You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmware password/EFI

My MacBook Pro early 2011 is locked with firmware password and I don’t know it. I have no proof of purchase cause I got it as a gift.. how do go about to find the EFI password

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 9:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2019 4:25 AM

Ask the person who gifted it to you for the firmware password. Failing that, get proof that it was gifted to you, and schedule a genius appointment with an Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them reset the firmware password.

Apple will expect an original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase. When you set your appointment, ask them what you should substitute since the Mac was gifted to you.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 3, 2019 4:25 AM in response to Isaac5_4

Ask the person who gifted it to you for the firmware password. Failing that, get proof that it was gifted to you, and schedule a genius appointment with an Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them reset the firmware password.

Apple will expect an original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase. When you set your appointment, ask them what you should substitute since the Mac was gifted to you.

Firmware password/EFI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.