You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

formatting 1Tb external hard disk

when i try to format a new 1Tb external hard disk from my MacBook Air running Mojave, i get an "unable to write last block" error.

How do i solve this

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 8:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 10:36 AM

Open Disk Utility (in the Applications Folder/ Utilities folder). In the upper left of the Disk Utility window, click on "View". Then select "Show All Devices". Now you should see your new drive in the disk Utility sidebar. Click on the device, not the volume below it. Click on "Erase" in the tool bar. Select the Scheme, then select the Format. I don't know what you intend to use this drive for. If you are using it for Mac only, choose Scheme: GUID Partition Map, Format: Either MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. Choose Format: ExFAT if you are going to use it for both Mac and Windows. Click on "Erase" at the lower left of the dropdown window. Let Disk Utility finish.

Welcome to Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2019 10:36 AM in response to geoffs1

Open Disk Utility (in the Applications Folder/ Utilities folder). In the upper left of the Disk Utility window, click on "View". Then select "Show All Devices". Now you should see your new drive in the disk Utility sidebar. Click on the device, not the volume below it. Click on "Erase" in the tool bar. Select the Scheme, then select the Format. I don't know what you intend to use this drive for. If you are using it for Mac only, choose Scheme: GUID Partition Map, Format: Either MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. Choose Format: ExFAT if you are going to use it for both Mac and Windows. Click on "Erase" at the lower left of the dropdown window. Let Disk Utility finish.

Welcome to Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

formatting 1Tb external hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.