You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently installed High Sierra, how do I get apps that are 32bit to 64bit?

Hi, I recently installed High Sierra via an Apple Tech. I have Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac and all it's apps are 32 bit. When I went into MS Word it told me it need to be updated to 64 bit. Can I do this, if so how do I do it. The 2nd part of my question is should delete all other apps that have 32bit.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Have a great weekend.

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 10:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 11:26 AM

Upgrade your software—

This is a generic warning only. You have to do nothing, 32-bit apps continue to work on both High Sierra & Mojave.

In the future release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, applications will have to be 64-bit. App developers will issue updated apps if they want their apps to work on these future releases.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13 ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 17, 2019 11:26 AM in response to momluvstv

Upgrade your software—

This is a generic warning only. You have to do nothing, 32-bit apps continue to work on both High Sierra & Mojave.

In the future release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, applications will have to be 64-bit. App developers will issue updated apps if they want their apps to work on these future releases.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13 ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

Aug 17, 2019 10:48 AM in response to momluvstv

You can continue to use compatible 32-bit/64-bit applications on High Sierra and Mojave, but Catalina (10.15) requires 64-bit applications.

You get a 64-bit release of MS Office with either a new Office 365 subscription, or the single-purchase of Office 2019 for Mac, so it will cost you to upgrade to a 64-bit MS Office from your ancient Office 2008 (which was never tested on High Sierra or Mojave).

Third-party application vendors will also be the source of 64-bit updates, or not depending on their customer commitment, and whether the product that you seek to upgrade has not been discontinued altogether.

I recently installed High Sierra, how do I get apps that are 32bit to 64bit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.