You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is 2FA tied to a single AppleID?

I've never used 2FA before. I have two AppleIDs. I am thinking about enabling 2FA on my iPhone while logged into one of my AppleIDs only because 2FA is required to get an Apple Card. But before I enable 2FA, I want to know if 2FA is exclusively tied to a single AppleID? Or will 2FA continue to bother me after I logout and then login to my other AppleID?

In other words, I don't want to turn on 2FA if all my AppleIDs will suddenly be required to use it. I only want to enable 2FA for a single AppleID. Is this possible?

Thanks.

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 1:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 1:36 AM

An iTunes account is an Apple ID, they are the same thing.

I really want to know this because as you know, iTunes is going away.

It's not, the only change is on the new version of macOS where the iTunes program is being split into separate programs, the store etc. will continue to exist.

3 replies

Aug 10, 2019 1:33 AM in response to King_Penguin

I greatly appreciate your lightning fast reply!

You said "2FA is linked to an iTunes account." But iTunes is nothing without an AppleID. Therefore, what you seem to be saying is that any AppleID that can be used to log into iTunes is the one and only AppleID that 2FA will work with if I enable 2FA while logged into that AppleID. I can enable 2FA outside iTunes (on my iPhone), so I am not sure why you mentioned an "iTunes account" specifically. Is there a reason you mentioned it rather that just speak about an AppleID? I really want to know this because as you know, iTunes is going away.

Is 2FA tied to a single AppleID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.