You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac suddenly turned off

I have an iMac which was bought in 2015. I was working fine when all of a sudden it turned off. I turned it back on, and continued working. But then it started to turn off more frequently until it wouldn't turn on back again.

What can be the problem? perhaps it has something to do with the power supply. It was connected to a energy regulator and sometimes we have black outs often at the building. If that is the problem, is there any solution to make it work again?

Thanks for your help.

Faviola Castillo

iMac Pro

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 9:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 9:34 AM

Start here to see if it can help. Please post back your results: If your Mac doesn't turn on or start up - Apple Support

2 replies

Jul 23, 2019 11:33 AM in response to faviola144

If you unplug the power cord and then reconnect it are you able to power on the Mac? If that lets you restart the iMac then it's a strong indication that the power supply is bad. Had the same thing with a 2015 27" iMac. It took me several sessions with Apple engineers on the phone and 3 visits to my local Genius Bar before then concluded it was hardware related and not software. We eventually erased the drive completely, reinstall the system but didn't migrate any of my data. When it continued to crash they were convinced and replaced the power supply (it was under warranty).

So unplug the power cord from the back of the iMac, wait a few seconds and reattach and try to boot.

My iMac suddenly turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.