You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages on iCloud erased all my conversations

I have my iPhone and iPad set to keep messages on iCloud. Today I noticed that there is a similar setting on my Mac and so I turned that on. "enable messages on iCloud". Several hours later I went to open the messages app only to discover there are no old messages or conversations there at all. I seem to be able to send new messages, but all the old ones are gone. If I check my phone or iPad everything (old messages and conversations) is still present.

the "sync now" in messages preferences is greyed out. Running 10.14.5 on my Mac and 12.3.1 on my phone.

Should I panic yet ?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 7:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 2:57 PM

Well it just fixed itself. The "sync now" button is now active and all the old conversations have suddenly appeared. Apparently it took 23 hours for the initial sync to complete. Also the ~100KB/s download traffic I was watching has also stopped.

2 replies

messages on iCloud erased all my conversations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.