You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searchlight fails to find files on my Mac

Good evening,

I am trying to find a file on my MAC (OS 10.14) using Searchlight. It seems to pull up hundreds of files which have no likely connection to the search phrase.

So to make sure I am doing it correctly, I open my documents folder and pick a file. I type the name with extension exactly as it shows in the Finder: Cost Estimates.xls. It comes back with no Excel files but it picks up two Word documents. For example, one was "What is due diligence.doc" I opened it in Word and of course both cost and estimates were in the text. But I want to find it in a file title.

Clicking "Show all in Finder" finally turned it up at the bottom of a long list of files under a category of "Other"

So are there any tricks to limit the search to get a smaller result set?

Thanks for any help. This is really frustrating.

Hugh

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 6:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 2:06 PM

You need to accompany your search with operators that can steer your search results.

kind:excel AND name:cost

will find any Excel .xls/.xlsx document whose actual filename is, or contains, the word cost. On the otherhand,

cost Estimates.xls

will search all of your selected Spotlight Search Results categories for a match, including internal document text, and the result count could be staggering. When you have a filename, or a text string punctuated by space, you want to enclose the string in double quotes, so both parts are not searched independently:

name:"cost Estimates".xls

See also: Narrow your search results on a Mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2019 2:06 PM in response to Hugh Piercy

You need to accompany your search with operators that can steer your search results.

kind:excel AND name:cost

will find any Excel .xls/.xlsx document whose actual filename is, or contains, the word cost. On the otherhand,

cost Estimates.xls

will search all of your selected Spotlight Search Results categories for a match, including internal document text, and the result count could be staggering. When you have a filename, or a text string punctuated by space, you want to enclose the string in double quotes, so both parts are not searched independently:

name:"cost Estimates".xls

See also: Narrow your search results on a Mac

Searchlight fails to find files on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.