You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessible phone because of touch id but the passcode seems to have changed itself

Can Apple help me with this? I didn’t change my passcode, but when I wanted to change it, the passcode I type isn’t accepted as the old/current password. Thankfully I still have access to my phone with touch ID. I have seen the iTunes restore method however, I don’t think that that’s necessary since I still have access to my phone, and it’s not disabled. I haven’t backed up my phone for a long time now and I just can’t afford to let everything go (to delete all of it without back up). Thank you!!

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 7:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 8:03 AM

If you are able to open the iPhone with Touch ID, then create a current backup of the phone, either iCloud or iTunes. If you use iTunes, make sure it is an encrypted backup to save all data (write down the password or the backup cannot be accessed again). Then restore the iPhone to remove the passcode and restore the backup you just made. Create a new passcode and your Touch ID. This method is how to restore to remove the passcode. If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Even though the Touch ID may be working now, if you have to restart the phone or there is a problem, you will need to use the passcode, Touch ID won't work then.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2019 8:03 AM in response to apple-ios-issues

If you are able to open the iPhone with Touch ID, then create a current backup of the phone, either iCloud or iTunes. If you use iTunes, make sure it is an encrypted backup to save all data (write down the password or the backup cannot be accessed again). Then restore the iPhone to remove the passcode and restore the backup you just made. Create a new passcode and your Touch ID. This method is how to restore to remove the passcode. If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Even though the Touch ID may be working now, if you have to restart the phone or there is a problem, you will need to use the passcode, Touch ID won't work then.

Accessible phone because of touch id but the passcode seems to have changed itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.