You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow icloud backup

Hi, I keep trying to backup my phone with iCloud but it's taking me ages and it's never completed!

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 7:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 7:34 AM

You can look through the suggestions in here and see if anything helps.

If you can't back up to iCloud or restore from iCloud backup failed - Apple Support

I have problems with iCloud backups from time to time, actually at least once a week. Some of the steps that I go through are.

1. Cancel the backup, if possible and try again.
  2. If the backup will not cancel I try turning off the switch for iCloud backups. Sometimes that just leads to nowhere and turning off the backup doesn’t work, and I get the “turning off backup” message that never ends. I don’t let it go on for more than a minute or so.
  3. If canceling or turning off the backup fails, I force close the settings app and restart my phone. The I go back into the settings and start a manual backup and that always works for me. You may have to turn iCloud backups on again, but like I said, this always works for me.

YMMV.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2019 7:34 AM in response to mostarda_

You can look through the suggestions in here and see if anything helps.

If you can't back up to iCloud or restore from iCloud backup failed - Apple Support

I have problems with iCloud backups from time to time, actually at least once a week. Some of the steps that I go through are.

1. Cancel the backup, if possible and try again.
  2. If the backup will not cancel I try turning off the switch for iCloud backups. Sometimes that just leads to nowhere and turning off the backup doesn’t work, and I get the “turning off backup” message that never ends. I don’t let it go on for more than a minute or so.
  3. If canceling or turning off the backup fails, I force close the settings app and restart my phone. The I go back into the settings and start a manual backup and that always works for me. You may have to turn iCloud backups on again, but like I said, this always works for me.

YMMV.

slow icloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.