You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mail not working

All instructions for solving problems with Mac Mail say to open Mail>Preferences>Accounts, but I get only a blank Accounts window, although I have mail accounts with Google and Earthlink. My internet is working, but my Mail stopped arriving and sending two days ago. How do I get around this roadblock?

Clicking on the exclamation point next to mainspring(earthlink) box says an SSL error has a occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made. Earthlink's rep studied it for an hour and said the error was in Mac Mail. Next to the gmail mailbox, the exclamation point message is "Connections to the server “imap.gmail.com” on the default ports timed out."

In Internet Accounts: the Mindspring Account alone does not reveal the connections to all the apps, as does the Google account, but instead shows a window with description of the email address (name/password) and an advanced window with "pop.mindspring.com", and then an empty window for path prefix. Don't know if the empty window is significant. But there is clearly something missing with this account, compared to the other.

Using Mojave 10.14.5; Mail 12.4 (modified 5/28/19)

MacBook

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 11:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2019 2:49 PM

Thanks for getting back to us and clarifying the issue a bit more, katherinefromcolumbia. It's appreciated. I'ld like for you to see if this problem occurs in Safe Mode and a new user account.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see if you can view your accounts. Afterwards, reboot normally and log into your own user account and test. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new administrative user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide. See if you're able to add your email account.

Please let me know the results of each when you're able.

Cheers!

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2019 2:49 PM in response to katherinefromcolumbia

Thanks for getting back to us and clarifying the issue a bit more, katherinefromcolumbia. It's appreciated. I'ld like for you to see if this problem occurs in Safe Mode and a new user account.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see if you can view your accounts. Afterwards, reboot normally and log into your own user account and test. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new administrative user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide. See if you're able to add your email account.

Please let me know the results of each when you're able.

Cheers!

Jun 13, 2019 7:09 AM in response to katherinefromcolumbia

Hey, katherinefromcolumbia.

I see that you're unable to receive emails in the Mail application on your Mac. I'm glad to help.

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac -- This article provides the information and steps that you need when you aren't receiving your email.

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac -- If you're still not receiving email, remove the account and add it back again.

Mail Settings Lookup -- Make sure you have the correct settings to re-add the account.

Mail settings you might need from your email provider -- You may need to contact Earthlink for specific settings.

Take care. 

Jun 18, 2019 11:22 AM in response to katherinefromcolumbia

Thank you for continuing working with us, katherinefromcolumbia. It's appreciated. Since you've found an application you didn't install, I'd like to see if that's the source of the problem.

Similar Photo Cleaner app -- See tygb's Apple Recommended reply regarding this application.

Apple - Support - Product Selection — If you successfully remove the unknown application, but Mac Mail still isn't showing your accounts, please contact Apple Support.

Cheers!

Jun 13, 2019 11:52 AM in response to pedro d

Thanks, Pedro. The problem is, Mail>Preferences>Account shows an empty window. There are no email accounts listed there (though I have two, gmail and the one I use most, mindspring. The other instructions to delete and add appear to cause me to lose all my previous emails in the inbox, and these are not saved in my webmail. Also, I was in Team Viewer with Earthlink for over an hour, and they couldn't discover the problem, and said it was a Mac Mail issue. The Mail Connection Doctor says (for Mindspring/POP, "could not connect to this POP server. Check network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences" (I can't even access Account preferences). Also it says (for smtpauth.earthlink/SMTP) "Could not connect to this SMTP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information int he Account preferences" (which, again, I can't even access). By the way, Mail Connection Doctor says my Google account (IMAP) connection and login succeeded.

Jun 16, 2019 2:10 PM in response to katherinefromcolumbia

Once again, I thank you for introducing me to Safe Mode, but there is a complicating factor. If I shut down and restart normally (without SAFE MODE), the same problem persists. I don't know if it is relevant or not but an app, Similar Photo Cleaner, that I never asked for and never knowingly downloaded, appears across the screen as soon as I open the computer, and I have to close it out twice. I thought I had trashed it, and emptied the trash! In Safe Mode, it is non-existent. But out of Safe Mode, it is BACK! Also, whether I am in or not in SAFE MODE, my WiFi is constantly "looking for networks" (about every 3 seconds), although my network is clearly selected. This stalls any work on the internet. All of these are new problems since June 10 -- I had used my iPhone as a hot spot while out of town. I only say this incase there is a link. I don't know if I can stay forever in Safe Mode......help!

Jun 16, 2019 4:14 PM in response to chris_g1

I saw the article about starting in safe mode, did that, and removed all the login files. When I restarted the computer, I received all my emails and the connectivity looks like it will continue - keeping fingers crossed. Thanks so much for your help! Thank you ChrisLL By the way, I have a separate question I wrote before seeing this.

Jun 16, 2019 8:11 PM in response to katherinefromcolumbia

Chris, there is also one other unresolved issue: although SAFE MODE allows me to get and send emails, and I generally seem to have unfettered access to the internet in Safe Mode, nonetheless, the Accounts Window under Mail>Preference is still blank. So I've not been able to "read" anything about my mail accounts in order to fix what went wrong. ????

Jun 19, 2019 2:51 PM in response to brenden dv

Thank you, brenden dv, for helping me to get rid of that pesky Similar Photo Cleaner app, that appeared to be malware. When I opened this time, not using SafeMode, I appear to be rid of the unwanted app. I immediately tried to send an email to myself, and it still went to Outbox. And my Wifi is still "looking for networks" every three seconds. What now? I'll follow your suggestion and contact Apple Support.

mac mail not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.