You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal hard drive "gone"

I was trying to completely erase a 1000 GB drive partitioned into two 500 GB volumes. Disk Utility was having trouble erasing, so I went to Terminal and ran diskUtil commands. I tried to erase the disk, but got a failure message about ten minutes later saying that the disk wasn't configured. At that point, the disk "disappeared" from the Finder, Disk Utility, and diskUtil list. (It was previously listed as disk2, and that "slot" is empty. diskUtil commands on disk2 result in the message "Unable to find disk for disk2".

My other three internal hard drives and an external drive are happily spinning and work fine. I'd rather not trash the disk, though everything on it is backed up. Any ideas on how to "find" disk2? (I have another Mac Pro and can easily remove disk2 and put it in my other Mac, if that will help.)

Mac Pro, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 31, 2019 8:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 3:32 PM

As I said, the disk was disk2. After whatever problem that occurred while erasing the disk, it didn't show up in disk list, but the disk2 slot was empty. One of the other three disks should have become disk2. So, it's weird.

DriveDx doesn't see the problem disk.

As suggested in a different post, the disk may be bad and failed the erase action. I'll try it in a different computer (that can run Snow Leopard with its superior Disk Utility) and toss the disk if I can't mount it. I made a clone and a data backup, so I won't lose anything.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 1, 2019 3:32 PM in response to HWTech

As I said, the disk was disk2. After whatever problem that occurred while erasing the disk, it didn't show up in disk list, but the disk2 slot was empty. One of the other three disks should have become disk2. So, it's weird.

DriveDx doesn't see the problem disk.

As suggested in a different post, the disk may be bad and failed the erase action. I'll try it in a different computer (that can run Snow Leopard with its superior Disk Utility) and toss the disk if I can't mount it. I made a clone and a data backup, so I won't lose anything.

Jun 1, 2019 5:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your reply. I know about disk designations, and I always check with "diskutil list." I found it strange the the disk2 spot was empty. If the Mac truly could not see that disk, a different disk should have become disk2.

I think that the mucked-up disk will have to be treated as a disk with no formatting: no GUID, FAT32, whatever. A long time ago (probably in the days of System 6), I had a utility that could format a completely blank disk. I don't know if a similar utility is available today.

Jun 1, 2019 9:46 AM in response to iTBotB

macOS does not change disk IDs except after a reboot. If the drive is physically not seen by the system, then plugging in another external drive might populate the now empty "disk2" spot without needing a reboot, but it is not guaranteed. Also the disk IDs assigned various drives will vary depending on how each drive spins up so "disk0" is not guaranteed to be Bay1 each time if the system has multiple drives.

If Disk Utility did not finish erasing the drive, then you may have a failing drive. If this is not the boot drive, then you can check the health of the drive using DriveDX.

Internal hard drive "gone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.