You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading High Sierra Installer on a Mac with Mojave

I followed the instructions on the following article (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969) and get the message "The requested version of macOS is not available." I need this for an older iMac. I erased the hard drive and need to reinstall macOS. Using the control-R, and option-control-R is giving me errors.

Posted on May 25, 2019 6:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2019 6:34 PM

The only way I know of to do this would be to have an external USB hard drive*, go into Internet Recovery Mode on your Mojave machine (SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R) so that you can install the oldest version of OS X / macOS available for your Mojave-running Mac and install that as a system onto that external drive.

Then you can boot up onto that older OS X / macOS by holding down the OPTION key.

While booted onto that, as long as it gives you regular-Sierra or something older you can than go into your past purchases in the App Store and download High Sierra.

You can then use that "Install macOS High Sierra" app w/ the instructions to make a bootable USB thumb drive to use on your older Mac needing High Sierra.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

For ease of use, do yourself a favor and rename that thumb drive "MyVolume" so you can literally cut and paste the terminal command in that help guide.

*Note, instead of a USB hard drive (if you don't have one) you technically could use a 32gb or larger flash drive to install the old OS X / macOS on to. It would just be really slow, but doable. And this is in addition to the 2nd 8gb+ USB flash drive you would need to create the bootable High Sierra drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 25, 2019 6:34 PM in response to Granny_Smith_Apples

The only way I know of to do this would be to have an external USB hard drive*, go into Internet Recovery Mode on your Mojave machine (SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R) so that you can install the oldest version of OS X / macOS available for your Mojave-running Mac and install that as a system onto that external drive.

Then you can boot up onto that older OS X / macOS by holding down the OPTION key.

While booted onto that, as long as it gives you regular-Sierra or something older you can than go into your past purchases in the App Store and download High Sierra.

You can then use that "Install macOS High Sierra" app w/ the instructions to make a bootable USB thumb drive to use on your older Mac needing High Sierra.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

For ease of use, do yourself a favor and rename that thumb drive "MyVolume" so you can literally cut and paste the terminal command in that help guide.

*Note, instead of a USB hard drive (if you don't have one) you technically could use a 32gb or larger flash drive to install the old OS X / macOS on to. It would just be really slow, but doable. And this is in addition to the 2nd 8gb+ USB flash drive you would need to create the bootable High Sierra drive.

Downloading High Sierra Installer on a Mac with Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.