You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data from iPhone 5C iOS 10.3.3 to a used iPhone X iOS 12

I have obtained a used iPhone X from a family member who has misnamed the phone before transferring it to me and they did reset the iPhone themselves and I am trying to correct that. I have successfully changed from a former Apple ID that they left on the iPhone X to my Apple ID though in the Apple ID screen the phone is still named under the former name.

I did not do a reset of the iPhone X prior to entering my Apple ID information. Is it necessary that I should have done that before setting up my Apple ID and naming the iPhone X?

I did sign onto our home WiFi (but have not transferred or obtained a new SIM card for phone service) and since the WiFi connection my Apple email is now available on this iPhone X. When I swipe right I do see some of my Calendar information, however when I do tap the Calendar and Notes icons I see an information window that informs me of changes to these 2 apps.

Did I enter my Apple ID information too since I did not reset the iPhone X?

I am also in the process of doing a iCloud back up of the iPhone 5C as well as a iTunes back up done yesterday.

Thank you for any and all assistance in this matter.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on May 20, 2019 1:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 1:38 PM

This link explains what should have been done before you got the phone-->What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. You can still do that.

Then you transfer content as described in this link-->Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2019 1:38 PM in response to JLdraw

This link explains what should have been done before you got the phone-->What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. You can still do that.

Then you transfer content as described in this link-->Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Transferring data from iPhone 5C iOS 10.3.3 to a used iPhone X iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.